"We hope you'll enjoy the closing pages of our employee manual, excerpted from The Illusion of Living by Joey Drew, his acclaimed memoir and guide to animation."
The Illusion of Living is a memoir written by the animation studio owner Joey Drew. The book describes the philosophy of making animated cartoons, ranging from the logic of animations to drawing Joey Drew Studios' cartoon characters in the owner's way.
The cover of the book is black, while the pages are a lighter color. On the front cover, there is a smaller, lighter rectangle, some inscriptions, and a pair of horns referencing Bendy's. The book has its "The Illusion of Living" titled and has Joey's name for his writing credit.
- Rule #1: Your Animations Should Be Fluid
- Rule #2: Your Animations Should (Mostly) Obey the Laws of Physics
- Rule #3: Your Animations Should Control the Camera
- Rule #4: Your Animations Should Be Aware of Their Environment
- Rule #5: Your Animations Should Be Punctual
- Rule #6: Your Animations Should Vary
- Rule #7: Your Animations Should Haunt People
- Animating Bendy
- Bendy's Character
- Animating Boris the Wolf
- Animating Alice Angel
Usage and Locations
The book first appeared in Chapter 1: Moving Pictures. It is one of the six items Henry must collect to fix the Ink Machine. The book is located in the Lunch Room, on a table piled with several other books.
The book later makes a numerous amount of cameos from the second to fifth chapter. However, none of them can be obtained:
- In Chapter 2: The Old Song, the book is seen in the trash can in Sammy's office room.
- In Chapter 3: Rise and Fall, the book is seen laying on one of the desks from the operation room of Level P.
- In Chapter 4: Colossal Wonders, the book is seen laying on the table in the Archives, next to Susie's audio log of Level S, and on the shelf inside the room with the Lost One banging its head against the wall.
- In Chapter 5: The Last Reel, a realistic version of "The Illusion of Living" book is seen on a shelf in Joey's apartment with five other items.
- The book's title is a reference to "The Illusion of Life", a Disney animation book written by two long-term animators, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, who were also two of Disney's Nine Old Men.
- In older updates for Chapter 1: Moving Pictures before the release of Chapter 4: Colossal Wonders, the book localization was randomized.
|The current sound produced when the book is collected.|
|The sound produced when placing the book on the pedestal in the break room.|
|The old sound produced when the book is collected.|
|Objective items||Bendy Doll • Book • Door Lever • Dry Cell • End Reel • Extra-Thick Ink • Gear • Ink Heart • Inkwell • Wally's Keys • Pipe • Record • Special Gear • Turnwheel • Valve Core • Wrench|
|Non-objective items||Bacon Soup • Bone • Disc • Thick Ink|
|Weapons & Tools||Axe • Empty Bacon Soup Can • Flashlight • Gent Pipe • Pipe Wrench • Plunger • Scythe • Seeing Tool • Soup Bowl • Syringe • Tommy Gun|