This article is about the book item. For the literature based on the item, see The Illusion of Living (Literature).
"We hope you'll enjoy the closing pages of our employee manual, excerpted from The Illusion of Living by Joey Drew, his acclaimed memoir and guide to animation."
The Illusion of Living is a memoir written by animation studio owner Joey Drew. The book describes Joey Drew's life, along with the philosophy of making animated cartoons, including the logic of animations and storytelling.
The cover of the book is black, with a yellow outline, which contains the title, Joey Drew's name, and a pair of horns. The back cover is also pitch black. The pages appear to again, be black.
- The Illusion of Living: Part 1 - The What
- The Illusion of Living: Part 2 - Bendy
- A Question of Reality - Chapter 1: Shoes Make the Man
- A Question of Reality - Chapter 2: The Elves and the Shoemaker
- A Question of Reality - Chapter 3: The Initials
- A Question of Reality - Chapter 4: Sparkle Unicorn
- Art and the Everyday - Chapter 1: The Window
- Art and the Everyday - Chapter 2: All the World's a Stage
- Art and the Everyday - Chapter 3: Words Words Words
- Art and the Everyday - Chapter 4: Still Life and Motion Pictures
- Art and the Everyday - Chapter 5: The Play's the Thing
- The Murder of Walter Richmond - Chapter 1
- The Murder of Walter Richmond - Chapter 2
- The Murder of Walter Richmond - Chapter 3
- The Murder of Walter Richmond - Chapter 4
- The Murder of Walter Richmond - Chapter 5
- Actualizing the Dream - Chapter 1: The Businessman's Advice
- Actualizing the Dream - Chapter 2: A Shoe Box
- Actualizing the Dream - Chapter 3: An Art Show
- Actualizing the Dream - Chapter 4: The Birth of Bendy
- Actualizing the Dream - Chapter 5: "Without Music, Life Would be a Mistake."
- Actualizing the Dream - Chapter 6: It Don't Mean a Thing...
- Actualizing the Dream - Chapter 7: Deals Done in the Dark
- Living in the Now - Chapter 1: Mud
- Living in the Now - Chapter 2: Amusement
- Living in the Now - Chapter 3: The Moment
- Living in the Now - Chapter 4: The Plan
- Living in the Now - Chapter 5: A Light in the Window
- What Comes Next
- Some Practical Concerns: Part 1 - A Day in the Life
- Some Practice Concerns: Part 2 - An Introduction to Animation
- A Practical Guide to Creating the Illusion of Living: Part 1 - Joey Drew's Seven Rules to Animate By
- A Practical Guide to Creating the Illusion of Living: Part 2 - Joey Drew's Three Rules to Telling a Good Story
- To Conclude
Usage and Locations
The book first appeared in Chapter 1: Moving Pictures. It is one of the six items Henry must collect to fix the Ink Machine. The book is located in the Lunch Room, on a table piled with several other books.
The book later makes a numerous amount of cameos from the second to fifth chapter. However, none of them can be unobtained:
- In Chapter 2: The Old Song, the book is seen in the trash can in Sammy's office room.
- In Chapter 3: Rise and Fall, the book is seen laying on one of the desks from the operation room of Level P.
- In Chapter 4: Colossal Wonders, the book is seen laying on the table in the Archives, next to Susie's audio log of Level S, and on the shelf inside the room with the Lost One banging its head against the wall.
- In Chapter 5: The Last Reel, a realistic version of "The Illusion of Living" book is seen on a shelf in Joey's apartment with five other items.
- The book's title is a reference to "The Illusion of Life", a Walt Disney animation book written by two long-term animators, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, who were also two of Disney's Nine Old Men.
- An actual book with the same name was released in February of 2021.
- The Illusion of Living was published in 1942 in the in-game universe.
- Following Joey Drew's death, The Illusion of Living was re-released by Nathan Arch in 1972, featuring footnotes from him.
- In older updates for Chapter 1: Moving Pictures before the release of Chapter 4: Colossal Wonders, the book localization was randomized.
|The current sound produced when the book is collected.|
|The sound produced when placing the book on the pedestal in the break room.|
|The old sound produced when the book is collected.|
Real Life Version
|Objective items||Bendy Doll • Book • Door Lever • Dry Cell • End Reel • Extra-Thick Ink • Gear • Ink Heart • Inkwell • Wally's Keys • Pipe • Record • Special Gear • Turnwheel • Valve Core • Wrench|
|Non-objective items||Bacon Soup • Bone • Disc • Thick Ink|