The phonograph, or a gramophone, is a musical device designed for playing music or songs and purchased by Joey Drew Studios.
Based on the US banner phonograph in design, this is an early sound-reproducing machine-like device for the mechanical recording and reproduction of both sound and music inserted with disc records. These machines could only play 78 rpm shellac records since the vinyl LP record was invented in 1948.
Usage and Locations
The phonograph is first seen in Chapter 2. The object lacks its interactive function in all chapters except in Chapter 3.
- In Chapter 2: The Old Song, the phonograph can be found in the Music Department entrance next to the location's logo that will play the "Sammy Jam" track after defeating the Searchers, and on the table inside the Infirmary. Both lack their actual function as interactive objects, however.
- In Chapter 3: Rise and Fall, the phonograph is found in the dining area from the safehouse, next to the table where Boris sits. While it already automatically plays the "Thinking of You" music, the phonograph can be turned on and off. Turning the phonograph off causes Boris to slow his "finger-tapping" movement down.
- In Chapter 4: Colossal Wonders, a couple more phonographs are found in some locations, such as in the Archives' both locations; one on the circular stage away from the Bendy statue and the other on the desk from where the vaults are. Another phonograph can be also found outside of the lounge & hideout, located on the couch from Henry's right. The phonograph infinitely plays the "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" track.
- In the post-Chapter 5: The Last Reel epilogue, a phonograph can be found in Joey's office. It doesn't play anything.
The phonograph present in the game is the same phonograph from the third Bendy and the Ink Machine chapter. After interacting with it, it shows its own UI allowing Buddy Boris to change (and turn off) music in the hub (the default soundtrack is "Thinking of You Again", more Music Tracks can be found in lockers). After interacting with it, Buddy Boris starts dancing. He won't stop dancing until the player moves him again.
Buddy Boris can also dance to the phonograph in many different ways by using the phonograph's UI:
- Wolf Shuffle
- Studio Softshoe
- Toe Tapper
- The Majestic
- Wild Boy
- For previous updates prior to the update upon Chapter 4's release:
- In Chapter 2, the phonograph was not there in the Music Department location, the music used to come from the speaker.
- In Chapter 3, the Safe House's phonograph remains as a non-interactive object.
- The Phonograph is one of the few objects that cannot be created by Ink Maker.
- The phonograph model is simply called Player in the game files.
- The location of the phonograph (and the fact that it is the only phonograph Buddy Boris can interact with it) show that it is the same phonograph seen in Chapter 3 of Bendy and the Ink Machine.
- Its model and texture aren't as detailed as the one used in Bendy and the Ink Machine.
- Buddy Boris' dance option is not featured in the first release of the game until the Symphony of Shadows update.
|The looped sound of the phonograph playing.|
|The sound of the phonograph crackling.|
|The "Sammy Jam" music from Chapter 2.|
|The "Thinking of You" music from Chapter 3.|
|The "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen" music from Chapter 4.|
|Audio Log • Ink Machine • Ink Maker • Music Radio • Phonograph • Projector • Punch Card Stand • Switches • Tasty Eats Machine|
|Transports||Barge • Bridge Machine • Cart • Elevator|
|Misc.||Bendy Statue • Boxes • Cutouts • Ink Toy • Instruments • Little Miracle Station • Spoon • Toilets • Toys|
|Audio Log • Elevator • Phonograph • Tasty Eats Machine|
|Misc.||Boxes • Cutouts • Instruments • Little Miracle Station • Lockers • Look-Hole • Mystery Box • Toilets|