""Bendy and the Ink Machine™" is the first person puzzle action horror game that will forever ruin your childhood love of cartoons."
Bendy and the Ink Machine (abbreviated as BatIM) is an episodic first-person puzzle action horror video game and the first installment of the Bendy series developed by Joey Drew Studios Inc. (Kindly Beast), lead by theMeatly and Mike Mood. The game was released on GameJolt and Itch.io on February 10, 2017, and was first officially released on Steam on April 27, 2017. The chapters ran from February 10, 2017, to October 26, 2018.
The game follows Henry Stein, a retired animator who returns to the defunct animation company upon an invitation from his old friend Joey Drew, then, later on, he discovers a living nightmare within the studio by the chaos of ink, thanks to the titular Ink Machine. Traveling through the deep underground levels under the studio, it reveals more as the chapters proceed.
"Bendy and the Ink Machine" is a first-person puzzle action horror game that begins in the far days past of animation and ends in a very dark future.
Take on the role of Henry, an animator from long ago, returning to a forgotten place he never thought he would see again.
What follows.. is a mystery.
Bendy and the Ink Machine is a survival horror game that features a mixture of puzzle solving, environment exploration and combat to aid Henry on his journey through the darkened halls of Joey Drew Studios. Players explore through a first-person view and have limited physical actions such as running and jumping. Different items can be collected, some of which are required to perform various tasks before proceeding. Cans of Bacon Soup, a reference to the game's creator theMeatly and his partner Mike Mood, can also be collected for achievements and to restore Henry's health if he is injured.
Combat is primarily focused around a variety of different melee-based weapons, such as an axe, pipe, plunger, or scythe. There are also long-range weapons such as a Tommy Gun or Empty Bacon Soup cans. In-game enemies all have different strength levels and resilience to damage, forcing players to be tactical about keeping out of reach and striking when necessary. Failure to do so will result in a death. Henry can retreat inside Little Miracle Stations whenever enemies are nearby in order to recover or remain out of sight. If he takes too much damage, he can escape from the ink that consumes him and respawn at one of the numerous statues of Bendy that act as checkpoints.
In addition, players can find numerous audio logs throughout the studio that give more details about the game's story, particularly concerning the fate of the studio and its employees, similar to the systems used in games such as BioShock. Some of these logs can be missed and require further exploration to uncover the secret areas they often reside In.
The chapters were first started out as purchasable DLCs. Chapter 1 was first released on February 10, 2017, on Game Jolt, Itch.io, and Indie DB. Chapter 2 was released on April 18, 2017, along with Chapter 1's first remastered update. Chapter 3 was released on September 28, 2017, along with newer updates on two previous chapters. Chapter 4 was released on April 30, 2018, along with more remastered updates for the three previous chapters. Chapter 5, the final chapter, was released on October 26, 2018, as a part of the completed edition with all chapters merged, including the sixth "extra" chapter, which contains information about characters and monsters along with development progress information and some lore.
|Chapter 1: Moving Pictures||February 10, 2017|
|Chapter 2: The Old Song||April 18, 2017|
|Chapter 3: Rise and Fall||September 28, 2017|
|Chapter 4: Colossal Wonders||April 30, 2018|
|Chapter 5: The Last Reel||October 26, 2018|
While the game was highly acclaimed by the community, the critic reviews are largely mixed, with aggregating review website GameRankings assigning the PlayStation 4 port a score of 77.50%, the Xbox One for 75.00%, and Nintendo Switch for 65.00%, but the original PC was not received yet. The critic review from Metacritic was not received yet. It receives praise centering on its vintage aesthetic and story. In the months following its release, it quickly gained a cult following from exposure on platforms like YouTube and Twitch. The game has received the "Best Horror Game" award by IGN and is listed as #1 in "18 Best Horror Games of 2017", while its percent score didn't receive from the site yet. The mobile port received the "Game of the Day" award on February 23, 2019.
"Inventive first-person horror."
"Thrilling and hair-raising for every player!"
"The art in the game is downright fantastic!"
"While at times it can come across as pandering to YouTuber jump scare culture, the game offers an intriguing world, aesthetic, and story that we can't wait to see evolve in future chapters."
The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One ports were developed and published by Rooster Teeth Games, originally intended to be released on October 26, 2018, while the Nintendo Switch port was scheduled to release on November 20, 2018, but both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One's release dates were pushed to the same date for Nintendo Switch's release.
The mobile port was first hinted by Mike Mood on May 9, 2017. On December 15, 2018, a mobile port was announced by theMeatly and Joey Drew Studios Inc., and it was released on December 21, 2018.
This section is empty. You can help out the Bendy Wiki by inserting content here.
|Spanish - Spain||☓||☓||✓|
|Portuguese - Brazil||☓||☓||✓|
- The overall idea of Bendy and the Ink Machine was inspired by the game series BioShock, due to the medley similarities. 
- By the release of Chapters 1 and 2, the game was available online on Game Jolt, Itch.io, and Indie DB. On September 12, 2017, before Chapter 3 releases, the available downloads were removed. However, by the time when all five chapters were completed, Game Jolt and Itch.io downloads are re-added.
- Before each chapters' release, theMeatly announced a fanart contest, allowing the fans to submit their fan art for it. The winners' fanart appeared in chapters, and they also received a free copy of the game for the chapter's release.
- The first fanart contest started on February 16, 2017, and expired on March 2. The three winners were ImaginateKate, MaxInkly, and Poppy May respectively.
- The second art contest started on April 22. 2017 and expired on June 15, 2017. The six winners were Firion Bifrost, Shannon Marie, Prismahays, Noisypaperdragon, Nao Sasaki, and ChipherBerry respectively.
- The third art contest started on October 14, 2017, and ended on December 20, 2017. The five winners were ATAT, MissPeya, Merkurfisch, Cary, and Weretoons.
- The fourth art contest began on September 6, 2018, and ended on October 15, 2018. The winners were awarded an exclusive mystery box filled with Bendy and the Ink Machine merchandise, but their fanart did not appear in Chapter 5 due to content lock while still planned to be added a future update, but this was dropped when they decided to sell them as T-shirts instead.
- On Twitter, theMeatly thought about an offshoot for the Bendy series' future.
- For a short time from the game's deleted Game Jolt page, the prototype soundtrack was available for download.
- Mike Mood stated on Twitter that when talking about inverted controls with David Eddings stating he made a special version of the game called "Bendy and the Inverted Machine" with the logo for everything being changed for him.
- The game's tagline "Above all, fear the Machine" seems to be a reference to the first part from one of the Bible verses:
- "Above all, fear the Lord and worship Him faithfully with all your heart; consider the great things He has done for you." - Samuel 12:24 (HCSB)
- The alternate logo seen on Rooster Teeth's official website is a fanart made by Antonio Balzano (know as TheMasterCreative on DeviantArt). The font used for the alternate logo is called "DK Liquid Embrace."
The Old Song
Rise and Fall
The Last Reel
|Main series||Bendy and the Ink Machine (Version History) • Boris and the Dark Survival (Version History) • Bendy and the Dark Revival|
|Mobile spin-offs||Bendy in Nightmare Run (Version History)|
|Demos||BATIM Prototype Demo • PAX Demos|